Your resource for the latest information about the Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) Program in the City of Milwaukee
"The affordable housing crisis is growing. RAD is part of the solution."
FIVE THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT RAD PUBLIC HOUSING CONVERSIONS
1. RAD allows public housing agencies to leverage public and private debt and equity in order to reinvest in the public housing stock. This is critical given the 25.6 billion dollar backlog of public housing capital improvements.
2. In RAD, units move to a Section 8 platform with a long-term contract that, by law, must be renewed. This ensures that the units remain permanently affordable to low-income households.
3. Residents continue to pay 30% of their income towards the rent and they maintain the same basic rights as they possess in the public housing program.
4. RAD maintains the public stewardship of the converted property through clear rules on ongoing ownership and use.
5. The RAD program is cost-neutral and does not increase HUD's budget. This program simply shifts units from the Public Housing program to the Section 8 program so that providers may leverage the private capital markets to make capital improvements.
For questions and additional information, call the HACM RAD hotline at (414) 286-8600 or send an email to RAD@hacm.org.